Connect with a cause that needs you. Discover purpose and feel pride as part of the ImprovingBirth team!
With busy lives, it can be hard to find time to volunteer. However, the benefits of volunteering are enormous to you, your family, and your community. With approximately 10,000 volunteer hours a year, ImprovingBirth would not succeeded without the incredible contribution of our volunteers, many of whom we now call family.
Are you ready to join the team?
We ask that all our volunteers have a commitment to and understanding of ImprovingBirth followers, preferably based on experience. You need to have diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals.
Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of pregnant and new families is a must. We seek people who are self motivated and who are original thinkers that can contribute thoughts and ideas and then execute those ideas.
32% of women surveyed described their birth as traumatic and we often confuse the trauma of childbirth with the trauma of a broken maternity care system. This doesn't have to be and we need volunteers like you to make the change.
We look forward to having you join the team.
ImprovingBirth is currently 100% volunteer, therefore the board is a working board. Each board member can expect to spend 2-5 hours a week dedicated to tasks and projects. IB’s Board Members will serve a 2-year term to be eligible for re-appointment for additional terms. Board meetings will be held monthly.
IB Board Members will consider IB a philanthropic priority and make annual gifts that reflect that priority. IB will then be able to credibly solicit contributions from foundations, organizations, and individuals. IB expects to have 100 percent of Board Members make an annual contribution that is commensurate with their capacity.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about maternal heath and who has a track record of board leadership. Selected Board Members will have achieved leadership stature in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector. His/her accomplishments will allow him/her to attract other well-qualified, high-performing Board Members
**NOTE: To change the face of maternity care, we need to hear from people of all backgrounds and races. We are actively seeking people of color to help us ensure that the voice of those most likely to receive biased care are represented within our organization.
While day-to-day financial operations are led by Jitasa Group, we seek a treasurer that is able to provide leadership in the financial life of the organization.
- Oversee communications with accounting firm to ensure taxes and all financial legal documents are filed on time
- Understand financial accounting for nonprofit organizations
- Develop and update financial policies
- Prepare financial statements on a quarterly basis for review by the Board
- Work with the President and Jitasa Group to ensure that appropriate financial reports are made available to the Board on a timely basis
- Partner with the Executive Director and/or President to develop a budget
- Present the annual budget to the Board for approval
- Review the annual audit and answer Board members' questions about the audit
- Advise the Executive Director and/or President as ImprovingBirth’s projects and programs are developed and implemented
- Approve ImprovingBirth’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions
- Stay informed and ensure ImprovingBirth is meeting all legal and fiduciary responsibilities
- Partner with the Executive Director and/or President and other Board members to ensure that Board resolutions are carried out
- Coordinate with Donor Relations Manager to maintain donor communications and tracking
- Record minutes of Board meetings or oversee this function if done by a staff person
- Distribute and update meeting minutes for ratification at future Board meetings
- Oversee the maintenance and storage of ImprovingBirth’s Board meeting minutes
- Provide public notice of Board meetings when necessary
- Serve on the ImprovingBirth Executive Committee if the Board has such a committee
Do you have a love for tracking data and spreadsheets? Then this position is for you!
- Collaborate with Fundraising Chair to create and implement plans, strategies, and budgets to expand fund raising revenues
- Conduct an ImprovingBirth fundraising SWOT analysis and revise and update the previous fund development plan based on findings
- Help maintain a shared fundraising calendar
- Oversee the development of individualized donor relationships, interactions and solicitations. Involve volunteer leadership and program staff as needed to develop relationships and solicit donors.
- Responsible for the identification and movement of donors higher up the “pipeline”, determining when the donors will benefit with interactions from other leaders
- Develop and maintain a database to track and manage donor interactions
- Send and maintain all donor communications including annual receipts